Writing a history essay, to be considered well-written and to earn a student high marks in class, should have the following characteristics:
- Focus and relevant content
- Must be unique in its interpretation
- Presents a thorough analysis of the topic
- Should include relevant historical evidence
- Must be organised and logical
- Must be accurate and written clearly and in a coherent manner
So, what should students pay attention to when writing a history essay? Here are a few tips, guidelines and pointers on how to write a history essay.
- Answer the essay question precisely. To do this, one should have a thorough understanding of the question.
- Provide a good thesis statement to open the essay.
- When writing the body of the essay, ensure to provide credible historical evidence to support the thesis statement.
- Close out the essay with a well-thought out conclusion.
- Ensure that all facts included in the essay are relevant to the topic.
- Avoid the use of flowery language. Aim to be concise and be straight to the point.
- Do not include any facts, no matter how interesting, if they are irrelevant to the topic.
- Avoid interjecting statements that are very opinionated. Stick to the facts.
If you want to know the basics of writing good essays, you may try to learn how to write a university essay or how to write UKessays. For additional essay writing tips and techniques, you may try to familiarise yourself on how to write an economics essay, how to write a law essay and how to write a critical essay to sharpen your essay writing skills. Aside from our site, there are plenty of other online information databases as well as web portals that especially cater to these concerns. From these various online sources, try to follow the tips and guidelines provided when writing your history essay and you will be on your way to completing a well-written academic piece.